Creating sustainable outcomes for agriculture
Field To Market brings together a diverse group of grower organizations; agribusinesses; food, fiber, restaurant and retail companies; conservation groups; universities and agency partners to focus on promoting, defining and measuring the sustainability of food, fiber and fuel production.
Across the entire agriculture supply chain – from the farm gate to the restaurant counter – the challenge of meeting demand for a rapidly growing population, while conserving natural resources, has become increasingly complex. With the world population estimated to reach 9 billion by 2050, the entire food chain must work together to efficiently and responsibly lay the groundwork for the future.
Understanding and Communicating Sustainable Agriculture
Field to Market engages in broad communication and collaboration with stakeholders to ensure a coordinated, outcomes-based approach to sustainable agriculture issues. By developing analytical tools such as the Fieldprint Calculator, the entire supply chain can better understand and communicate sustainability at the field, local and national levels.
- Farmers evaluate how their decisions influence their sustainability outcomes.
- The food industry can access and share more accurate details about sustainable food and fiber production.
- Conservation groups understand what’s happening on the farm, while helping farmers understand questions and concerns about sustainability.
Sustainable agriculture means meeting the needs of the present while improving the ability of future generations to meet their own needs by:
- Increasing productivity to meet future food, fuel and fiber demands
- Improving the environment
- Improving human health
- Improving the social and economic well-being of agricultural communities
Creating Shared Value
Working together through on-the-ground fieldprint projects, growers and members of the food, fiber and fuel system are helping to tell the story of sustainable production and to promote continuous improvement. Supply chain partners enable education, information-sharing and collaboration.